What do we do?
The local education system is in crisis and the solution lies in improving our schools. We firmly believe that teachers are the unit of change in this equation. At the heart of what Jakes Gerwel Fellowship (JGF) does is to nurture high impact, expert teachers. These students will graduate from the programme and embark upon collective impact as expert teachers, education leaders and social entrepreneurs to tackle the key systemic challenges that constrain our education system.
Who you are?
You are someone who thrives in a purpose-driven organisation. You have insight into the many challenges in the South African education system and carry a solution-focused mindset. You may have been a school teacher, but you definitely believe in the classroom as a vehicle for change. You understand deep-down that a key part of our country’s challenge lies in our inability to offer all learners access to high-quality education. You are passionate about helping young people grow and thrive in all aspects of their university life as they journey to becoming a teacher. Empathy and compassion are your things. You are good at holding coaching conversations and holding people accountable to achieving their goals. Your friends say that you are a superb listener. You value open communication within a team, and you are comfortable working remotely. Excellence is your thing and you have already spotted the typo in this paragraph. A start-up culture speaks to your desire to be part of building something significant. You can handle the ups and downs of a growing organisation while juggling many priorities without dropping the ball. You embrace technology to improve how we do things better. You are able to strive for excellence within a changing environment with a long-term vision in mind. You are self-directed and proactive, love learning, and are a team builder. In short, you are a potential Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Programme Officer.
What we need:
- Strong interpersonal skills like presenting, coaching, facilitation, stakeholder management.
- Organisational strengths such as report writing, problem-solving, project management and programme development
- Teaching experience is beneficial, but not required.
- Undergraduate degree with 3 years of relevant work experience.
What we offer:
- Insights into a growing organisation
- Being at the cutting edge of transforming South African education industry
- A respectful space to learn, iterate and grow while always aiming for excellence
- Accredited Strengths Finder CoachingCourse
- Professional support in your current role and future organisational growth
- Competitive Remuneration Package
Your Key Roles
- Face-to-face Consultation Sessions with candidate Fellows (minimum of 4 times a year)
- Classroom observation and teaching methods’ coaching
- Regular report writing from consultation Sessions
- Facilitation and project management at major events
- Willingness to provide input and lead additional portfolios to grow the long-term JGF vision
- Build and maintain major stakeholder relationships within the sector
Selection & Assessment Process
- Upload a motivational letter and your CV 7th December 2020
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre (17th December)
- Employment to commence in February 2021
- We are committed to equity in our recruitment and employment practices. It is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH OUR EXPLAINER VIDEO